Monday, June 20, 2011

chocolate chip pancakes

This is a tried and true recipe my dad has been making for us since my sister and I were wee little girlies. Dad usually handled our breakfasts as he had a more flexible schedule and mom was always off bright and early to get to work during the school year. Though she was gone in the early hours of the morning, she was home by the time we were back from school and enjoyed the summers off with us.


Okay, so Dad didn't start putting in the chocolate chips...I think we did that as we got old enough to make these for ourselves. Don't judge these pancakes. This is nothing. Have you seen We Are Not Martha's S'mores Pancakes?? Yeah. Those look amazing. But my pancakes...have fruit.


I had the pleasure of Josh joining me for breakfast this Saturday morning. He usually sleeps in on Saturdays (until he has to get up for work), but he was up earlier and it was nice spending some time over breakfast with him since I would be gone all night shooting a wedding with my sister.


Anyway, here is the recipe! You can find this recipe all over the web, it's pretty well-used and it's the only recipe where I've memorized the measurements.

Chocolate Chip Pancakes
makes 4 large pancakes or 6-7 medium
 ~ingredients~
1 c flour
1 T sugar
1 1/2 T butter, melted (or veggie/canola oil)
3 tsp baking powder
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla (or more if you like)
1/4 tsp/pinch salt
1/2 c - 1 c milk (we use 1%; amount depends on how you prefer the consistency of your pancakes)
1/4 c chocolate chips (or more...)

~instructions~
(In case you don't know how to make pancakes...)
Whisk together all ingredients except chocolate chips. Adjust milk amount as preferred. Add chocolate chips. Heat griddle or skillet to medium heat. Add pancake batter, as much or as little as you want (again, depends on size/consistency of your pancakes). Once pancakes start bubbling on top, flip carefully. Cook a few more minutes until done. Repeat until all the batter is used. Serve with syrup, berries and whipped cream!

Of course you can substitute blueberries, white chocolate chips, peanut butter, etc. for the chocolate chips. If I make them plain, sometimes I'll add a little lemon juice to the batter instead of the vanilla. I also learned from my dad that warmed syrup on pancakes, french toast or waffles is the best. I suggest you try it!

I also love reheating leftover pancakes in the toaster oven the next day!

4 comments:

*kc said... Best Blogger Tips

Ooo! Is that real whipped cream?

I was going to make waffles this weekend to use my fresh berries, but I froze all my berries.

I did, however, make zucchini pancakes. I made up my own recipe - I thought you would be proud. I'll blog about it this week or next.

Hannah {Culture Connoisseur} said... Best Blogger Tips

You can't go wrong with pancakes. I love them with chocolate chips. Although, I've been practicing restraint these days. When you're six and eating your weight in chocolate chip pancakes there are no consequences.

Bethany G said... Best Blogger Tips

I was looking for a good pancake recipe... definitely trying this!
those pics are great!

Lisa said... Best Blogger Tips

This is the kind of recipe that my sister would love. She's a total chocolate lover. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog till Monday night and I'd love it if you'd come by and link your pancakes up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/06/sweets-for-saturday-23.html