Thursday, September 8, 2011

California BLT's

I saw this recipe several weeks ago while watching Barefoot Contessa at my parents' house. It's a simple recipe and now that my tastes are expanding as I'm getting older, it's a sandwich I'll finally enjoy.


I've always liked bacon, but only in the last few years have I liked mayo or Miracle Whip, tomatoes or lettuce on sandwiches. Yes my sammies were pretty boring, especially before I liked cheese or even Italian dressing. Bread. Meat. That was it.


This is so much better.


Look how cute this Boston lettuce is!! I bought them because they were adorable. And perfectly sized. I hate throwing out bad lettuce. Well, I hate throwing out any bad food.


Thick, white, country bread toasted (Texas Toast in our case), smear of Miracle Whip on each side, three slices of bacon each, a few pieces of lettuce, some beautiful tomatoes, salt & pepper and a few slices of avocado on top. Yum. Yum. Yum.


We wrapped these sandwiches in foil and packed them for our trip a few weekends ago. They are a great sandwich to take for picnics! We ate these again several times after our trip. And of course you can always use turkey bacon if you prefer it that way.


8 comments:

Hannah {Culture Connoisseur} said... Best Blogger Tips

Ooooh yeah. This sounds soo good! Do you bake your bacon??

AmYaroundthecorner said... Best Blogger Tips

Woah. These look divine :) Summery perfection, right there! ..And the tiny boston lettuce is adorable!

henning love said... Best Blogger Tips

yum!! i love sandwiches with thick slices of bread and that sandwich is making me hungry

Meri said... Best Blogger Tips

I love the last one, the two sandwiches on the board. Your food photos look great!

*kc said... Best Blogger Tips

Hehe...

I make TBL (Turkey Bacon and Lettuce), since I don't like tomatoes and I don't eat bacon. Maybe I will make that for lunch today, if my lettuce is still fresh.

The boston lettuce is super cute.

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

That actually sounds pretty good! Never thought to put avocado with a BLT!

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

hey everyone here is something that you might want to try if that beacon gets stuck in your teeth and give you toothache

here is everything you need to get rid of toothache if you read my review and if you have ever
had toothache you will remember the pain that took for ever to go away and was just on your
mind all the time and almost drove you crazy
but now you don't have to suffer because the solution is here:
toothache relief

birdie to be said... Best Blogger Tips

Looks delish! And so simple :)