risotto has been a favorite dish of mine ever since i've tried it. i haven't had it or made it in quite a while, but finally, after weeks of having all my ingredients i made my recipe. i've been dying to make this recipe ever since i bought this book on risotto for $5.00 on clearance at a kitchen gadgets store.
the recipe is chargrilled chicken + risotto. in my attempt at healthier dishes for two people, i made a few alterations and small additions to this fairly basic recipe, and it turned out AMAZING. the recipe called for white wine, which i did not have, so i substituted white cooking wine. i also added a few chopped sun-dried tomatoes, more chicken stock (+ a little water) than called for and less cheese. i'm telling you - i was sampling this as i was making it, before the cheese went in - and thought it was so good i almost didn't put in the parm. but then i did. and holy. it made it amazing.
i'm trying to work on "healthier" meals for two people, with no leftovers. i usually eat leftovers for lunch, but in an attempt to lower my weight i've found i can't afford the calories at lunch that usually are okay at dinner. the end result of this recipe is a for about two people, so that's what the ingredients below will get you. i had a few leftovers, but only because i didn't eat as much as i probably could, as i'm really attempting to monitor portion control for myself in meals. risotto isn't the healthiest of meals, but it's better than a side of Velveeta mac and cheese or a loaded baked potato.
~marinade for chicken~
juice and zest of 1/2 a lemon
1-2 T olive oil
4-5 sprigs of thyme, leaves removed and chopped (i buy fresh then freeze. it's a great way to have fresh herbs whenever)
1 clove garlic (i had minced, so about 1-2 tsp)
S + P
1-2 T olive oil
2 T butter, separated
1/2 small onion, chopped fine
3 sun-dried tomatoes in oil, chopped fine (if you can measure them in quantities, and they don't have to be in oil)
generous 3/4 cup arborio rice
1/3 c white wine (or white cooking wine)
2 1/2 - 3 c chicken stock
2-3 T Parmesan cheese
S + P, to taste
- season chicken w/ S + P. mix together marinade ingredients and rub into chicken. let sit 4-6 hours (i had about 2 1/2 hours, which i think was plenty). cook chicken about 10-15 min per side, till juices run clear. let sit 5 min before slicing.
- heat chicken stock, keep simmering while cooking risotto.
- heat oil and 1 T butter in pan. add onion, cook to soften, do not brown. add sun-dried tomatoes, cook till warm. this is where i seasoned with S + P
- add arborio rice, cook till translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
- add white wine / white cooking wine. cook till reduced.
- add chicken stock, a ladleful at a time, waiting until absorbed before adding more. cooking takes about 20-30 minutes.
- once rice is finished absorbing, remove from heat. add remaining butter and cheese, to taste, and more S + P if desired.
- serve chicken atop risotto.