Monday, August 29, 2011

Bloggers Bible Club?

Lately I've been really feeling the effects of not reading my Bible like I should - and feeling the guilt, though not really doing anything to change it. I had a kind of serious break down this weekend over something ridiculous and I've been struggling with envy/jealousy a lot lately as well, not to mention a general lack of guidance for my career path. I know that my lack of Bible-reading isn't the reason these things are happening, but I'm sure it isn't helping.

I know I don't talk a lot about God or my faith on this blog. It's not that I want it to be a secret, it's just that I've tried to keep a focus on this blog, and it has always been an outlet for my other passions - food and design - while I felt like my God-passion was satisfied through church on Sundays, being in the worship/praise band and occasionally attending small group.

I've always had Christian girlfriends, but as I've been growing up I've noticed most of these friends are no longer my age and are at different stages of life - most are my sister's friends or have kids. The small group I attended with my sister went through it's own changes and is full of married friends now with kids. Most of the friends Josh and I have at church that are our age are in small groups already, and due to his more hectic work schedule, it's hard for us to meet regularly with others.

I've been meeting new blogger friends recently across the globe and it got me to thinking. Is there some sort of Blogging-Bible-Club-Study any of you are a part of or is it something you might be interested in? I'm not even sure how it would work, so I'm definitely open to suggestions. Maybe a certain portion to read weekly and it can be posted about (if you want) or discussed via email? Or maybe even a new blog that anyone in the "club" can contribute too and discussed in the comments?

Please let me know your thoughts or if you have any suggestions of reading plans that you may follow. I know as we get into fall and then winter...that seasonal depression is going to kick in and I need to be prepared and motivated before that gets here!

7 comments:

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
henning love said... Best Blogger Tips

i think a blogger bible club would be a terrific thing. i have been slacking lately and need to be much much better at my reading. it would be great to have a group, not so much for motivation but for accountability

Hannah said... Best Blogger Tips

I would actually be quite interested in something like that...you know since we live so far apart and everything ;)

Danny Lucas said... Best Blogger Tips

This is one of the most open and honest blog posts I have read! You lay out your problems, your life, your desires, for an entire planet to consider.

Something is amiss.
Just this month, I was writing to Mike Richwalsky at Erie Blogs, and mentioned there are many blogs on photography, politics, family life, media, and topics galore at Erie Blogs. Then, I added the one thing missing: FAITH Blogs.

And here you are in lament at the missing piece in your new life. Amy, every day is a change, for all of us.

I was surprised your first year of marriage was not a reading back and forth with your husband, namely Song of Solomon.
Do so as soon as you can. It is romance second to none. Listen to Song of Solomon 3:4:

"Scarcely had I passed them
when I found the one my heart loves.
I held him and would not let him go "

This is God, speaking to Josh about Amy, and God speaking to Amy about Josh. Read that line again and see if it is not from God to both of you.

Then, read Song of Solomon together each night, even if only one line.....and fall to sleep on that.

There are 18 million Bible Blogs now. Many are blind leading the blind. Someone has to KNOW what is being said and why.

I believe your Design/Food Blog is excellent as is, but a Bible Blog would certainly draw my attention more. And, they should be separate blogs, as they are separate topics.
Ps. On Design, I saw an awesome PBS show last week on fractals, and thought of you. Google that and look at the YouTube....many of them. There is a mathematical equation found for ALL design. You will love it. I digress.

Friends come and go. Neighbors too.
But God is always in the mix, so invite anyone who loves Him to join and contribute what they know, how it helps their life, and why.

It would be an awesome contribution to Erie Bloggers as faith is negligible there.

EVERYTHING is related to God!
You mention envy/jealousy above.
Both of those are a way of thinking that God is holding out on you, and giving more of something to others. Sounds a tad like Eve in the Garden, eh?

It isn't YOU; it is ALL of us. And knowing the Bible is the only way to know God, and his plan for placing our lives in this time, in this place, and for this reasons....for HIS purposes.
It is a marvelous dialog to undertake.

I recommend Ephesians as a grand start.
Psalms, Proverbs, and even Ecclesiastes are baby food, and you need steak. Romans is steak, but tough to chew sometimes.

I will even begin your search with having you start by reading Ephesians 1: 15-23. WOW!

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Bethany G said... Best Blogger Tips

I think this is a great idea!!!