Saturday, January 22, 2011

family things

well, if you've been reading/following my blog for a while, you'll know i went through some major family events these past two years.

two years ago in March i lost my first grandparent. Gramma Grace Mason, whom i am named after, passed away. she wasn't sick but more so passed from old age. it was a sad event, even more so because my dad's family is all in England so my sister, mother and i were unable to attend the funeral.

around this same time, my mom's mom, Gramma Betty Koos, had a major decline in her health. she had been suffering from lung cancer and passed away in June of the same year. it was a major struggle because we had to deal with weeks of declining health, amazed that she kept hanging on.

about a month before Gramma Koos's passing, we found out about health issues for Papa Dick Koos. about a month after Gramma died, we found out he, too, had cancer. he passed away last February. although his battle with cancer was much shorter than my gramma's, we were happy he wasn't in pain for as long.

a month after Papa Koos's passing, my beautiful niece Chloe was born. we are sad she never was able to meet our grandparents; however my brother-in-law's grandparents have had the pleasure of meeting her, and she has brought such a joy to our lives.

several months later, as you should recall, Josh and i got married. it was sad not having any of my grandparents there, but i am blessed to have two new grandma's on Josh's side. Josh's Gramma Julie is very strong in her faith and i know my Gramma Betty would have gotten along with her so well.

here we are, 2011, and unfortunately starting off the year sad. my dad's dad - my last grandparent - passed away last Friday, the day before my dad's birthday. he was not really sick, just passed from old age and natural causes. he was almost 88, i think. he had a great, full life with wonderful, caring children. my dad will fly over to England for the funeral in a week.

i have been incredibly blessed to have two sets of God-loving grandparents, both married for 50+ years, to set amazing examples for my parents and my sister and i. although they are gone, we believe they are celebrating in heaven - cancer-free and in new bodies not affected by old age. they were all amazing, and i miss them every day. we are comforted knowing we will see them again.

2006 - last time i saw both my dad's parents

granddad + gramma mason, 2006

dad, nan + granddad, 2006



0 comments: