Wednesday, October 22, 2008

where do they come from?

this morning i was in my room doing my business was kc yelled "Oh my God!" i ran to the top of the stairs and yelled, "what!" thinking she was watching Good Morning America and someone was bombed or something crazy happened. She responds with "there's a millipede!" so i run down the stairs thinking "great, what am i going to do about this!? i hope it isn't on the floor." so i said, where is it and she responded that it was in the sink - which made me happy - woohoo! just flush it down the drain. so luckily it was on the side with the garbage disposal, so i grabbed the sprayer, and shot that "house centipede" down the drain, then ran the disposal...then ran it a few more times for good measure.


ughghgh i hope that's the last of them...





the more i look at this picture, the less it scares me. maybe that is a good thing. granted when i googled this i almost threw up and when i clicked on this image it blew it up to like, full screen size [i have a big screen].
ick.


oh and my point was to find out where they come from or why they come in the house...
"The greatest likelihood of encountering them is in spring, when they come out because the weather gets warmer, and in fall, when the cooling weather forces them to find shelter in human habitats." [via wikipedia :)] "Because they eat household pests, house centipedes are considered among the most beneficial creatures that inhabit human dwellings." um....GROSS. "Techniques for eliminating centipedes from the home include drying up the areas where they thrive, eliminating large indoor insect populations, sealing cracks in the walls, getting a domestic cat..." see kc? benefits of kitties. :)


8 comments:

*kc said... Best Blogger Tips

YOU'RE AN AWESOME, BRAVE ROOMMATE!!!

(P.S. That centipede in our sink was way bigger - it was like 2 inches - BLECK!)

Love you!

*Stace* said... Best Blogger Tips

yay!! kitties!! do it!! get some!!

Martina said... Best Blogger Tips

Ugh! I hate centipedes almost as much as spiders. Here's my scary centipede story. Once a couple of years ago I got up to go the the bathroom in the middle of the night. I didn't put my glasses on because I can make my way from the bed to the bathroom without too much trouble. I saw a dark spot on the rug so I put my face down close to the rug to see what it was. It was the hugest centipede I've ever seen! It was like 4 inches long and my face was probably only 6 inches from it. YUCK! It reminded me of one of the Indiana Jones movies when they're walking through some tunnel with giant gross bugs everywhere. The funny part now is that I can't remember what I did with it. Did I scream and wake up Jason? Smash it? Step over it and go back to bed? (probably not.) My typical reaction with spiders, cockroaches and things like that is to smash them fast and messy with a shoe before they have time to get away.

Dave said... Best Blogger Tips

2 things:
1. that probably will not be the last one you see.
2. whenever anybody has that kind of reaction to something (kc yelling oh my God!), my first thought is always, oh great, what got bombed or who's dead or what did diane sawyer say now.

aww, we're alike!

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips

haha - i have a topping centipede story. stepping on one in the shower while dripping wet cuz i thought it was hair. it was a centipeded. i screamed bloody murder and jumped out of the shower into the hallway buck naket - heart pounding.

however, zelda and tycho definitely kill a lot of ours - i find them dead more often then not in the basement.

christa p said... Best Blogger Tips

ewww! ewww! ewww! you definitely need the kitties.

shannibal said... Best Blogger Tips

my cats used to kill centipedes too. the only problem was... they only ate the bodies. for some reason they always left the legs in a pile. so whenever i'd see a pile of centipede legs on the floor, well... need i say more? now that my cats are getting up there in age (15 years) they're too lazy too kill anything. which means i havta scream & cry for my mom to kill it. usually if i see one, i wont go back in that room for about a month or so...

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

My dog eats centipieds she finds outside