Thursday, June 5, 2008

baby shower cupcakes!







Tuesday we [girls in my church youth group] were supposed to have a surprise baby shower for Jen - a youth leader at our church. Unfortunately, she ended up finding out, but we still had a fun time.

The cupcakes were well received all around...presentation-wise. Other reactions were varied. Some people loved the cupcakes in their entirety. Some people hated them top, bottom and center. Other's just liked the cake part [lemon with raspberry jam filling]. And still some only liked the frosting [lemon-cream cheese frosting]. Personally, i thought they were great, as did most people, so I'm mostly happy about the results.

For the frosting, I pretty much went off the top of my head, and looking back - should have used less butter and cream cheese and more confectioner's sugar. I also threw in both vanilla AND lemon juice - you may think this is gross, but really, you couldn't tell, it just didn't allow for a very lemony taste [the cake was lemony enough though, so this didn't really matter]. The frosting was QUITE cream-cheesey...as for me, I like that.

Oh, and thanks for reminding me, Martina! The baby on the top idea came from Big Red Kitchen's baby shower cupcakes. I melted white chocolate and added pink & blue food coloring [separate, because she hasn't told ANYONE - including her husband - what gender the baby is]. I was going to do plain white baby's on top as well, but then I burned it...anyway, I melted it and for the pink chocolate I used this handy thing my sister got me...but it involved "sucking" up the chocolate which became too difficult and annoying. The blue chocolate I used a piping bag and small tip, and squeezed out the cursive baby! It was slightly difficult...then I stuck them in the freezer to harden right away to make sure it was going to work.

Also - thank you mother! for emailing me a link to this section of RecipeZaar. 788 cupcake recipes?! also, you can post your own cuppie pictures HERE!

Tonight I'm getting my hair done, tomorrow is META CAFE, Saturday I have a bridal shower, and Sunday we leave for CHICAGO!!

8 comments:

Michelle and the City said... Best Blogger Tips

what happened to the missing cupcakes? ;) hehe

they turned out really cute!

amy grace said... Best Blogger Tips

they were eaten?? hehehe!

Martina said... Best Blogger Tips

Did you make the "baby" decorations? How? They're really cute.

Angela Noelle said... Best Blogger Tips

My mouth is watering right now...

Trisha said... Best Blogger Tips

Oh, my, those are SUPER cute! I'm planning a baby shower for mymsister for July, and am making the cake (or cupcakes) myself. This is such a great idea! I am so glad you shared :) I will be planning on doing this, too, since my mom always has lots of baking chocolate around :D

Holly said... Best Blogger Tips

Oooh, yum. :)

Robin said... Best Blogger Tips

Wow those cupcakes turned out really cute. I love that you used colored chocolates, very fun. Looks like everyone had a great time. I love the shot with the two gals with their tummies together.

Kt said... Best Blogger Tips

soooo she know the gender of her baby but won't tell anyone else??!?!?...wtf mate?

yayyy cuppies...and boooo that you aren't making any this weekend...