Thursday, July 16, 2009

Extreme Events

ok, this is kinda long overdue...

a few weeks ago i was able to help out with Erie's Extreme Makeover home. i was scheduled by the Maleno team to work a 6 hour shift on Monday June 29 (630pm-1230am), and scheduled with Grace to work four hour shifts Sunday, Tuesday, and Wednesday.

Most of my time Sunday was spent at the registration tent helping Danielle & Dave. Then i went around with them figuring out which houses we were going to work on for the side project (landscaping). i also followed them around at the end of the night (with Aaron & Derek), talking about which houses needed what next.

Monday night was awesome. Co-worker Bethany and i waited for almost an hour before we were able to go down to the house, but once we went down we didn't stop working! We helping in the house in the basement, laying down tarp, sanding walls, and sweeping/cleaning. We spent time outside the house carrying stupid things (i think it was all busy work), and moving drywall, blocks, foamy stuff, and various other things to different locations. We were pretty exhausted Monday night, but excited that we got to be in the house and work closely with the contractors in

bethany and i before our attempt at sanding drywall.
we did anything they asked us to, haha!

Tuesday night i didn't go down. i was stuck at work finishing up a bid that was due on Wednesday.

Wednesday night was almost the best. Co-worker Bethany met Tony, the assistant in the Art Tent, and was asked to help with some "projects" for the house, so i worked with them when i arrived. We spent the night threading plastic silverware with paperclips (secret project) and helping move stuff into the house. We ended up staying until 1230am again. Also, we got to see Ty and get a picture with him! It was pretty crazy.

i've never met anyone really famous seeing Ty and the rest of the crew from Extreme Makeover was super exciting. Ty was the only one i saw on a day we could get a picture, though.

late, late, late Wednesday night. waiting to do something with the silverware.

Thursday was the absolute best. Bethany and i left work at 9am and went straight to the art tent to finish the projects. We worked in the house pretty much all day, got to meet Mary J. Blidge, and be on camera! We worked in and around the house until 20 minutes before the family came home, then watched from the upstairs porch of a family that Bethany helped with landscaping. it was an awesome view, so exciting!!

right after they MOVED THAT BUS!!! so exciting!

the "Art Tent Crew" with Tony

That week was such an amazing experience. Working with such incredible and talented people, seeing "famous" people (who didn't do nearly as much of the awesome stuff as you'd think...), helping such an honorable and deserving woman, and being a part of such an awesome side project thanks to Grace was all so awesome.