Reading for October 25 was Isaiah 50-52, 1 Thessalonians 5.
Finally - some good news for Israel!
- The "Servant Songs" - songs about the listening servant who will comfort the listening people, songs leading to the Messiah and his being beaten for our transgressions. (52 and 53)
- The Lord comforts Zion - reminder of the passing of the Red Sea and the exodus, reminds them that He laid the foundation of the earth, that "You are my people," the time has come for the "cup of staggering" to be put into the hands of Israel's tormentors (chapter 51)
- The defeat of God's people "has brought shame upon his name," "therefore he will vindicate Himself with unmistakable clarity, for His own glory." (52:5-6 - notes)
- Starts off speaking about Jesus' second coming - like a thief in the night. In the Bible's notes, it talks about how Paul is probably saying this to comfort the Thessalonians who may be concerned that they will not be ready for the second coming. Though the time may come unknowingly we are not "in darkness," so this should not be a surprise for those of us who know the truth, anticipate it and live in the light.
- Paul's final instructions - to respect, speak well of one another, do not let evil become you, help those who are weak, be patient, do not despise prophecy but do not blindly accept it, either. These are good instructions for all Christians, for all of the church.
Reading for November 15, 2011
Jeremiah 43-45, Hebrews 5